lunes, 8 de junio de 2009

First thing first - Vowels

Before jumping into how to form phrases I think its important to know the fundamentals of pronunciation, sometimes it's useful to know how to pronunciate something despite not knowing the meaning. When I studied some portuguese it helped me a lot to grab some text and read it out loud, following the pronunciation rules disregarding what I didn't understand, just to gain confidence..

listen to the vowels (and speak them) and then I tell you the differences,

I don't know if its my ignorance but I feel like your vowels change depending where they are positioned, and dont feel that happens in spanish, where they sound the same in any sillabe, but really dont know how much that is biased for being my native language.

A rough aproximation would be

our A  = your O (Us english) A (UK english)
when US say money or mother, we listen máni and mader, 

E =  A (US english)
I = ee, y, e 

O = O (UK english) and sometimes A

U = U  when you say U we listen IU (or ee-u)
another ex. you say MUSIC - we listen MIUSIC
so if you can split that sound you'll get the sound for the U 

that´s it and now for some instant gratification, a phrase that one of you had a hard time trying to say hehe..

Are you having a good time?

like any language when a word ends and the next starts (in or with?, help!) a vowel it sound like the same sillabe, in music metrics you count it as one.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario